Monday, May 13, 2013

How Many Words are Too Many Words?

CC Denham posted an intriguing question on her blog today; when planning out your novel, how do you determine the final word count target? What about per scene? Is there a right answer?

I suppose, for me, I do more of a rough estimate. I do my general outline in Scrivener, giving each scene a note card on the board. After writing some notes for each scene, I then set an estimated word count depending on the contents of each scene. For example, I know this is one of my longer sketched out scenes in my outline, so let's give that a 1,500 word target. This one is much shorter, so let's go with a 750 word target. I then add up all my scenes and get my rough final count and usually round it up a bit because, let's face it, there's going to be a few scenes where you're over your estimate. Or you might add a scene that you didn't think of initially. Ultimately, I think you just need to find what works for you and not get caught up worrying what other people are doing. At least, that's my completely obvious two cents.

Go ahead and check out the original post to see what other authors are saying and to add in your own thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment